Soundtrack Sunday

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Soundtrack Sunday is best enjoyed while listening to the music.



Today is my Father's birthday. My father makes all other fathers look drippy. He was the greatest dad-- the perfect Dad for a family of all girls. We were ( and still are) a hormonal bunch of women... and he has the patience of Job.

When my first boyfriend broke my heart (by breaking up with me at work-- on my break), it was Dad that was there to pick up the pieces. He had a dozen roses delivered, with a card that said he would always be my number 1 fan... and he has been ever since. I still have that card by the way. It means the world to me.

My Father has always been my biggest fan. He is a wonderful example of how to build a daughters self esteem. He writes me notes-- emails now-- telling me of the various things I do that he is proud of. I have them all saved. When I do something new with a photo, or the computer-- he is the first to compliment me.

I told him recently that it must be deeply satisfying for him to have his daughters returning to the things he loves-- music, travel, computers, and photography. He smiled his coy smile and just nodded his head. I have a deep appreciate for all of those things-- because of my Dad.

This song has always reminded me of my father. It came out shortly after my grandfather died. I remember riding home from the grocery store in our white T-bird, listening to this song. My dad was singing along to the song, and started to cry. I had never, that I could remember, seen my dad cry.

We sat, the two of us, in the garage listening to this song. I watched the tears drip down my fathers face as he listened to the lyrics of this song and I felt curious feelings. I was concerned, and my heart hurt to see how sad my father really was. I remember him turning to me and saying: "Motherboard, it really is to late when they are gone. Never, ever let the opportunity pass without telling the people you love that you really do love them."
Then he told me how much he loved me.

That moment is seared in my brain. I remember it as if it happened yesterday.

So today, I am taking the time.

"I am saying it loud, and I am saying it clear, and I am saying it in the living years":

I love you Dad.

You are a good man, with an even better heart. You live what you preach and you preach what you live. I want you to know that I appreciate all the sacrifices you have made in my behalf. I recognize them now.

Thank you.

I appreciate the kind manner in which you deal with my children... and the fact that you take time out of your busy life to make them feel important. I appreciate, and respect the Man of God that you are. Thank you for being that solid influence in my life.

Thank you for always treating me like a lady... even when I didn't act like one.

Thank you for being there to pick up the various pieces of my life when they were falling apart. Thank you for always listening and helping me to see things in the right perspective.

Thank you for being such a wonderful father.

I love you, and Happy Birthday!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes