Bleachers or No Bleachers?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I really like to read this blog called Musings & Misadventures. I started reading it at first, because she is in Chicagoland, and I was homesick. Then, I found out it was a friend of a friends sister, (is that right bestbunch? help me out!) and she is Mormon, which made it even more fun for me to read.
I dunno. I guess its the voyeur in me. Or my need for friends? Who knows.
Anyway.
She recently posted a Hot Topic Tuesday that made me write this novel of a comment that I realized would be a much better post on my own blog. So, I deleted it and brought it over here.

To Have or Not To Have The Entire Universe Present When You Deliver Your Baby.

I thought that was quite the interesting topic, and it brought about quite the comments.
I was surprised, really with what people thought. There were those who wanted only them and their spouse there... to the ones that said "bring in the bleachers-- the more the merrier!" (yikes)
I was "present" at each of my child's births,... barely. Don't get me wrong... It was great and wonderful... just not the party atmosphere. Or something that I would want to witness one of my sisters or friends go through.

When I had Thing 3, my labor bed was situated right in front of the bathroom door/mirror. I about had a cow when I looked up, mid pushing, and screamed: "Shut the dang bathroom door!" I seriously did NOT want to see my hoo-haa and everything that was happening with it.
Ewww! ICK!

When I was pregnant with Thing 1, I asked my Mom if she wanted to come into the labor room with me. (that was, I guess quite the trend, and still is) She politely told me: "Been there. Done that. Have no desire to SEE that."
It has always been just Jefe and I, and I think that Jefe would say this: if he could find out who the man was that decided it was the RIGHT thing to do to be in the room while your wife births your child... Well. He would like to punch him in the face.
He tells this story of when I was laboring with Thing 1, and going out to the waiting room to tell his Mom how it was all progressing... He watched her walk out the doors of the waiting room, and seriously contemplated running out the doors with her. He said he looked at the entrance to the labor unit, the exit doors, back and forth... And had to MAKE himself go through those labor doors.
I think thats funny. I really do, and I don't get all offended. But, when I tell that story, women get all hyper. "Doesn't he want to be there with you to see the miracle of birth?" It's not that he doesn't want to see his child... he just doesn't want to see the "process". Does that make sense? It does to me... I mean, I don't even want to see the process!
As a side note, I told Jefe I would give him a "get out of jail free card" (read: be absent from the whole "process") if he would let me have exclusive naming rights. (see... I have a name picked out, that he doesn't like...)
He jumped all over that and said he would write me up a contract, and all I had to do was sign on the line...
Moxie Crimefighter is looking better and better!

So. Back to HTT...
It has always been just Jefe and I. No one else. I did ask Thing 1 recently if she would like to come in and watch the baby be born. She looked at me like I had just grown 87 heads and said: "Are you kidding me? NO! WAY! Gross." Then she shuddered.

I may change my mind someday, and have a desire to see a baby be born. If one of my children asked me, I would have to think about it... very seriously.
But, until then, I do not want nor need any bleachers brought in for all the fans!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes