Random 10 Friday

Friday, February 15, 2008

"T.V. is chewing gum for the eyes." - Frank Lloyd Wright

That quote is probably true... but, what, seriously, would we do without the TV? I mean, how would know, every single small detail of every single little thing that goes on in the world? We wouldn't. I think that it's safe to say that I am a CNN junkie.
Must. Have. CNN. Really. It's sort of silly. I watch the news (read:listen) while I am doing everything. I want to know about the bombings in Iraq, the earthquake in Zimbabwe, how the stock market is falling, and the school shooting in DeKalb, Illinois.

I used to live in DeKalb, Illinois. We lived within 2 blocks of where this tragedy happened. I could see, from my apartment window, the circle drive they have been showing on CNN. When I saw it all on CNN my heart dropped. It was where Jefe went to Law School. It is where Thing 2 was born, and where Thing 1 learned to read, make friends and ride her bike. It is where I found myself. It is where I learned how to be a real friend.
I have a soft spot for DeKalb. Don't get me wrong, when we moved up to Loves Park, I was SO happy. I did not want to raise my children in that town... (Thing 1 was one of 5 white kids in her class at school, and over half the kids in her Kindergarten class had a parent in jail. Yeah. gross! )
But, DeKalb was a growing place for me. It was definitely the hardest thing we have ever done. We have never been poorer (I like to say we weren't poor, we were just po-- we couldn't even afford the last o & r.), and I never relied on the Lord more. It is a place where I learned how to REALLY cook, how to stretch a dollar, and how to take care of my family. It's where I learned how to be OK with me, and be proud of ME. Its a place where I discovered my passion for reading. It is also the place where I discovered the true meaning of friendship. (a.k.a tracytreehouse). It was a rough place, in a good way. Does that even make sense?

this is where i used to take my kids to play in the park-- and it is an awesome park! They have free orchestra concerts in the summer! AND, and awesome pool.

To see that this town, where I found myself, having such a tragedy... Well it is heart wrenching to me.
I recognized so many things that they have been showing on the news.

We often walked this trail... the kids and I. It looped around the Kishwaukee River.

My children & I used to walk through those commons area often, to go feed the ducks at the lake. Jefe, I am sure, has more vivid memories of the various buildings mentioned... but none-the- less, this is a terrible tragedy for a town that is mostly full of good, down to earth people, who are just trying to do what is right and get by. It is a farming community. It is a good, Christian community.
We just lived in the wrong part of town... lots of noisy students-- that liked to party!

There were many times when I saw the hand of the Lord in our lives very directly. From finding our first place to live (huge answer to our prayer!) to Jefe finding his first job that summer we moved there, to Thing 2 being born, to Jefe getting his first job after graduating with Hinshaw. I know the Lord was guiding us. It was good growing place. AND, it was a good starting point. We look back on our life now, and can say we have really come far. And, if you ask Jefe, his favorite memory of that place was the first night we slept in our brand new house... In Loves Park. It was the best nights sleep we had ever had!
There are more stories to share... But, I think, overall, it was a good growing place. A defining place. A place that we would not let beat us. We have come far people. Oh. So. Far. I am proud of where we have been, and how we have risen above it.
However, I feel saddened by what has happened there.
So. If you want a local perspective on things... go HERE, and HERE, and HERE and HERE or HERE. There is THIS newspaper (where I used to work) or THIS paper (i like it better)

On a much happier note, its the weekend, and not just ANY weekend... its a LONG weekend... And Jefe's birthday is tomorrow. I am going to take the things shopping after school. For me, he is a hard person to shop for... thankfully he gave me a list.
So. Have a wonderful weekend people. Kiss your family and be grateful for where you are.
OH. And, come out and play Random 10 Friday with me!

1. Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday
2. Two - Ryan Adams
3. Love On Rocks - Sara Bareilles
4. Jockey Full Of Bourbon - Tom Waits
5. Over You - Daughtry
6. Stranger Than Fiction - Joe Jackson
7. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
8. Hannah - Ray Lamontagne
9. Better Now - Rascal Flatts
10. The Remedy - Jason Mraz

Bonus: Sleeping To Dream(Live) - Jason Mraz *this is one of my all time favorites! sigh. It makes me happy.
Extra Bonus: Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby - Barry White *this is my OTHER favorite song! sigh again. this song makes me want to dance, and that my friends, is scary even when I'm NOT 9 months pregnant. Just ask Jefe!
Here's to a happy Friday!
Dance away!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes