The Pater Familias!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Jefe and I love this movie! It is hilarious, and full of great one liners! I can't even begin to count how many times I have watched it, and I laugh at the same places every single time! I am not sure if its the hill-billy in me coming out, or just the fact that I completely LOVE the soundtrack (probably both), but this movie could easily be one of my all time favorites! We have listened to the soundtrack so much that we have actually gone through 2 Cd's of this soundtrack. I know. There is help available for our ailment...
The kids LOVE the music and actually have the words memorized... they have grown up with it, I suppose. (maybe they just haven't come to their senses yet? Doubtful. I mean who can resist the great harmonies on those songs? My dream? To have our entire family singing the various parts... our own little crazyland family band...)
Thing 3 starts doing the hoe-down every time we put this CD in (she also does the hoe-down every time the Prairie Home Companion on NPR starts!) it is the cutest thing I have ever seen! She gets all excited and starts running around the house screaming: "its on! its on! come dance with me!"
Anyway.
One line from this movie totally cracks Jefe up every time he hears it. So much so, that he has started repeating it on a regular basis! If you watched the first clip, its where George Clooney says "I'm the damn pater familias!" Still cracks me up!
Now. Here's the whole purpose of this post.
When we were looking for the Wii for the kids this Christmas, it was almost a bust. I mean, standing in line all day long for the *chance* of maybe getting one??
No.
Not for this mother. Jefe, on the other hand worked his magic mojo, and actually found us one, and it didn't break the bank to get either!
Anyway.
When he finally did get that Wii, I got an email and it said was "I am the damn pater familias!" I laughed so hard, I think I actually started choking!
And so it went all Christmas season long. Whenever something good happened... he was the "pater familias!"
Well.
Earlier this week, Jefe decided that I should change his nickname to "Pater Familias". (I guess he had done something amazing again, but I don't remember what...) He even gave a rather convincing argument as to why it should be changed. (he tries to make me 'argue my case to him' when I want something... I mean, its only fair right?)
I told him no way. He already changed his nickname once. That's all you get. He has now been El Jefe (jefe for short) for 2 years, and everyone knows who he is... no more changing.
He thought about it for a while, then said: "OK. But when you refer to me in reverential tones, I want to be referred to as the Pater Familias".
Huh?
Uh. OK. (when exactly will I do that?)
You mean, when I start out my next post about you I should start it out "El Jefe, the damn Pater Familias" ??
His reply: Yes.

















