Survival Tips
Thursday, February 07, 2008
Have you ever seen this show, Survivor man? Jefe and I have watched it, and found ourselves making wisecracks about what kind of weirdo would do that on purpose. I mean really? The premise of the show is he gets dropped off out in the middle of nowhere, and then has to survive with what he has on hand. One show I remember in particular was him getting dropped off at the site of a plane crash, with nothing but a coat, and him having to survive/get out of the Canadian wilderness in 7 days. He ripped up seats of the plane to put on his feet to keep warm and all sorts of other crazy stuff.
Apparently, we weren't the only ones watching this show. Have you heard about the missing couple from Utah that was found yesterday? They said that they ripped out their truck seats to use as snowshoes... they had seen it on a TV show.HEY!
I saw that too!
It's amazing that they made it alive for that long in the wilderness, with the sub-zero temperatures we have had lately, not to mention the sheer volumes of snow.
AMAZING!
I found myself this morning thinking that it might not be so bad to be stranded with Jefe like they were. I listened to their press conference and she said that they sat in the truck, played cards, and talked. I bet they talked a lot. I bet you could solve a lot of problems in 12 days with nothing to do but talk and try to stay warm! I don't want to sound morbid, but I thought to myself, that just might be fun. Maybe. You know. To get stranded with Jefe and have nothing but time on our hands. Especially if I could be guaran-damn-teed that we would most definitely be rescued (ah la Survivor man).
That just might be nice... Only up to the point where you have to eat the dog food to survive. Then I would want to be rescued. And, rescued fast! I know. I am seriously messed up.
I have lamented on occasion that Jefe and I are seriously getting old because some of the shows we like to watch, and the channels we watch, are old people channels/shows.
For example:
Ice Road Truckers, on the History Channel. The premise of this show is you watch crude, crass gross truckers drive across an Ice Road up in Canada somewhere, and hope the entire time they are carting around the ridiculously large loads that they don't plummet through the ice. Everyone once in a while, they show a teaser of a truck/tanker falling into the ice... and its a little stressful. I think I'll keep watching this one... just because you never know when I might be driving on that lake of frozen ice, and something I watched on this show just might come in handy.
Then there is that Show, Everest Beyond the limit on The Discovery Channel. They have cameras mounted to the helmets of the Sherpas and the climbers, and you watch while they foolishly try to make it to the top of Mt Everest. It, again, is very stressful. But, I think I will continue watching that one too. Just because, you never know when I might be out in the wilderness, camping or something... and I can't get any oxygen and something you saw some Sherpa do just might save your life.
Serious.
How about Deadliest Catch? Have you seen that one? It's on The Discovery Channel too. You watch these crass fishermen out in the Bering Sea, in the middle of ridiculous weather conditions try and catch Crab.
For real.
The entire show.
I think I will keep watching that one too. Just because, you never know. I just might get stranded out in the middle of the Antarctic somewhere, and need some ideas on how to stay warm and catch me some crab.
I have said for years I hate reality TV, and yet, here I am telling you all the shows that I think I better keep watching... just in case I get stranded and need help.
I mean, really. Is a TV show going to help me survive?
Maybe.
It did that couple from Utah.
So yeah. Survivorman. I think I'll keep watching that one too... You just never know!

















