Confession

Thursday, March 13, 2008

I have a confession to make. I hate listening to my children practice the piano. I know. I know. I just won the worst mother of the year award. But, seriously. I really really dislike listening to them practice the piano. Mostly because I have played pretty much every single song they are learning, and I can HEAR when they are playing the wrong note or the rhythm is completely WRONG. I try really hard to not freak out. I try really hard to let them "learn" the pieces on their own. But, seriously, there are times when I JUST. CAN'T. TAKE. IT. ANY. LONGER.
And I find myself running into the room hollering "WHOA! That is SO not right!" and then I tell them to scoot over so I can play it right... I know. It truly is a sickness on my part.
I try really hard not to get mad. (why I would get mad is beyond me, but sometimes, hearing them butcher the piece of music is more than I can handle) I try to not yell out from where ever I am in the house "thats not right" OR, "is that one of your assigned songs?"Or, "Slow down. We're not going to the races! You'll play it better if you SLOW IT DOWN!" OR their personal favorite (I'm sure they'll tell you otherwise) "You're not counting. Slow it down. C.O.U.N.T. please. Please count. Please, for the the love of all that's holy, count!"
When I do loose it, and start my Tibetan monk chat of "count count count. you're not counting. please count." Thing 2 will usually start acting like I am beating him with a rubber hose. Thing 1 just rolls her eyes and says: "I AM counting, just not loud enough for you to hear."
Seriously??!
I may be old, but people, I do still have my hearing AND a sense of rhythm (just wait till I show you my awesome dance moves! ha!)
So.
That is my confession. I HATE listening to my children practice the piano.
I love to hear them play the pieces once they have learned them.... but practicing.
Eh. Not so much.
I am glad its getting to be spring so that I can go outside and hide. It will save what little sanity I have left. Not to mention my dignity. It really is pathetic to get so worked up over practicing. I get this. I totally KNOW this. I just can't seem to help it.
sigh.
I guess that's why I am the Queen of Crazyland!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes