Random 10 Friday
Friday, March 14, 2008
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face." –Jack Handey
I just finished reading this book... again. For the 3rd time. This last time I read it, I used sticky tabs and a highlighter. Just so that I could find answers quickly! (it has sort of become my handbook of how to handle teenage girls... ) Seriously. I am not a big non-fiction reader. I had to do TOO much of that in college, so I usually read for entertainment. However, this book is fascinating! If you have seen the movie Mean Girls then you have a basic understanding of this book. They based that movie off this book. I read this book about 6 years ago and gave a presentation on it at church. I used several clips from the movie (there is a documentary in the special selections part from Roslind Wiseman) and it was SO enlightening!
This last time I read it, it was interesting to me to see that this concept not only applies to teenagers, but also adults. I could see the social structure in my neighborhood, and point out all the rolls that everyone is playing. I reflected on past wards I have been in, and was able to do the same. Anyone who is the mother of girls should read this book... And further, I think ANYONE who has to interact with women should read this book. It is SO enlightening! I am excited because I just picked up her sequel Queen Bee Mom's and King Pin Dads
(I am of the opinion that the mean girl behavior is learned, typically, in the home...) I have heard that its excellent. I am always looking for ways to interact with people who are uber opinionated (yes. I know that I am too) and to learn how to do it in ways that aren't 'offensive'. My sister, islandmom, says this book is amazing.
The thing that I found so interesting in reading this book, as that it said that a girls self esteem is pretty well set in grades 5th and 6th(depending on how her peers treat her and such). And, if they are having difficulties in those grades, it can be detrimental to their psyche. I also found it interesting that at some point or another, most girls will play each of the rolls discussed in the book. Whether it be in childhood, adolescence or adulthood. Looking back on my life, I can say that little tidbit of information is totally true.
However, I do feel that the author missed an important item. I get that the book was about how to deal with "mean girls", however, I think that it is possible to be a "queen bee" and not be mean, but be a force for good. I think its possible to be that "queen bee" and be a person that others look up to, and want to try and emulate and follow and be friends with just because she makes others feel so good about themselves. I have a couple of friends like that back in Illinois. Everyone wants to be their friend because they are so well liked, and leave others feeling better than when they found them.
The trick, I think, is how to teach our girls to be THAT kind of "queen bee"?? I have been thinking a lot about that, and I think that it boils down to this: (sorry. I have to get a little religious on you right now...) teaching our girls about their Divine Worth. I LOVE this quote by Sheri Dew:
"Noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and fearless. That is who you are, and that is who you have always been. Understanding that truth can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way."
I think that is the key to helping our girls become, what I like to call "The good queen bee". If she has that sure knowledge, then she will have an amazing amount of confidence-- that can not be duplicated any other way-- and not care what others think... She will be happy just being herself and will be able to enjoy life. She will do her best to make others feel the same way that she does.
Anyway.
That was a long discourse about why I love this book, and think you all should run out right now and buy them both! You seriously wont regret it!
Random 10 Friday.
I love Random 10 Friday.
I love music. I have blogged on numerous occasions about how I live my life in a musical. I will be having experiences and find myself thinking: "Oh. right now in my "life movie" I would play this song, and then we would all break out into a dance."
Yes. Nerdy. I know. Oh well.
The baby is coming on Monday. I'm excited and little scared too. I really hate labor. I am a giant boo-waa baby when it comes to pain. I told the Dr to make sure that the anesthesiologist meets me at the door, and gets that epidural going while we walk down to my room. He thought I was kidding.
I wasn't.
Anyway. It will be good to get her here, and try to get back to some sort of "normal"... whatever that is!
Post your random 10 people, and have a fantastic weekend... I'll be thinking of you on Monday.
Not really. :>
ps. read an article HERE about the "Mean Girl syndrome. SO fascinating!!
1. Be Be Your Love - Rachael Yamagata *she is SO yummy!!*
2. It's Not Over - Daughtry
3. Lovesick Blues - Ryan Adams
4. One Good Love(live) - Rascal Flatts
5. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
6. The Sweet Escape - Gwen Stefani
7. Gone Away From Me - Ray LaMontagne
8. Clarity - John Mayer
9. Letting Go - Suzy Bogguss
10. Curbside Prophet (live) - Jason Mraz
bonus: Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams
I just finished reading this book... again. For the 3rd time. This last time I read it, I used sticky tabs and a highlighter. Just so that I could find answers quickly! (it has sort of become my handbook of how to handle teenage girls... ) Seriously. I am not a big non-fiction reader. I had to do TOO much of that in college, so I usually read for entertainment. However, this book is fascinating! If you have seen the movie Mean Girls then you have a basic understanding of this book. They based that movie off this book. I read this book about 6 years ago and gave a presentation on it at church. I used several clips from the movie (there is a documentary in the special selections part from Roslind Wiseman) and it was SO enlightening!This last time I read it, it was interesting to me to see that this concept not only applies to teenagers, but also adults. I could see the social structure in my neighborhood, and point out all the rolls that everyone is playing. I reflected on past wards I have been in, and was able to do the same. Anyone who is the mother of girls should read this book... And further, I think ANYONE who has to interact with women should read this book. It is SO enlightening! I am excited because I just picked up her sequel Queen Bee Mom's and King Pin Dads
(I am of the opinion that the mean girl behavior is learned, typically, in the home...) I have heard that its excellent. I am always looking for ways to interact with people who are uber opinionated (yes. I know that I am too) and to learn how to do it in ways that aren't 'offensive'. My sister, islandmom, says this book is amazing.
The thing that I found so interesting in reading this book, as that it said that a girls self esteem is pretty well set in grades 5th and 6th(depending on how her peers treat her and such). And, if they are having difficulties in those grades, it can be detrimental to their psyche. I also found it interesting that at some point or another, most girls will play each of the rolls discussed in the book. Whether it be in childhood, adolescence or adulthood. Looking back on my life, I can say that little tidbit of information is totally true.
However, I do feel that the author missed an important item. I get that the book was about how to deal with "mean girls", however, I think that it is possible to be a "queen bee" and not be mean, but be a force for good. I think its possible to be that "queen bee" and be a person that others look up to, and want to try and emulate and follow and be friends with just because she makes others feel so good about themselves. I have a couple of friends like that back in Illinois. Everyone wants to be their friend because they are so well liked, and leave others feeling better than when they found them.
The trick, I think, is how to teach our girls to be THAT kind of "queen bee"?? I have been thinking a lot about that, and I think that it boils down to this: (sorry. I have to get a little religious on you right now...) teaching our girls about their Divine Worth. I LOVE this quote by Sheri Dew:
"Noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and fearless. That is who you are, and that is who you have always been. Understanding that truth can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way."
I think that is the key to helping our girls become, what I like to call "The good queen bee". If she has that sure knowledge, then she will have an amazing amount of confidence-- that can not be duplicated any other way-- and not care what others think... She will be happy just being herself and will be able to enjoy life. She will do her best to make others feel the same way that she does.
Anyway.
That was a long discourse about why I love this book, and think you all should run out right now and buy them both! You seriously wont regret it!
Random 10 Friday.
I love Random 10 Friday.
I love music. I have blogged on numerous occasions about how I live my life in a musical. I will be having experiences and find myself thinking: "Oh. right now in my "life movie" I would play this song, and then we would all break out into a dance."
Yes. Nerdy. I know. Oh well.
The baby is coming on Monday. I'm excited and little scared too. I really hate labor. I am a giant boo-waa baby when it comes to pain. I told the Dr to make sure that the anesthesiologist meets me at the door, and gets that epidural going while we walk down to my room. He thought I was kidding.
I wasn't.
Anyway. It will be good to get her here, and try to get back to some sort of "normal"... whatever that is!
Post your random 10 people, and have a fantastic weekend... I'll be thinking of you on Monday.
Not really. :>
ps. read an article HERE about the "Mean Girl syndrome. SO fascinating!!
1. Be Be Your Love - Rachael Yamagata *she is SO yummy!!*
2. It's Not Over - Daughtry
3. Lovesick Blues - Ryan Adams
4. One Good Love(live) - Rascal Flatts
5. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
6. The Sweet Escape - Gwen Stefani
7. Gone Away From Me - Ray LaMontagne
8. Clarity - John Mayer
9. Letting Go - Suzy Bogguss
10. Curbside Prophet (live) - Jason Mraz
bonus: Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams

















