Happy Birthday Thing 3!

Friday, March 21, 2008

Five years ago, I was sitting in a hospital room, hooked up to an IV drip line and was watching the war in Iraq unfold. I seem to recall having a small debate with my Dad... he was convinced that we would be in and out of Iraq within 30 days. No more. I told him he was up in the night, and further that we really had no business being there. I seem to also recall that he bet me $100 that we would be in out and on with life within that 30 days... humm. I think I would like to collect that $100 dollars now Dad. With Interest!
Anyway...
I was having an emergency induction to get Thing 3 here. She was my little sickie... our baby that cost the most (read:$70k+ No lie!) and the one that I spent over 4 months on bed rest waiting and worrying about her...praying that she would be born healthy and fine. They thought that IF she had kidneys, there was only one... and typically when there is renal problems, there are heart problems. When I would be stressed, then she would be stressed. So. I got to experience the joys of bed rest. The Dr also thought that when she was born, she probably would have a difficult time breathing and would need to go to the NICU. But, when she was born, she was screaming and healthy and happy. All of the things that they feared would be wrong with her were not. She was 100% healthy and such a good little baby. I remember that I cried when all the tests that she had done after day 1 of life came back clear and normal. What a miracle she was... and has been ever since.
She has been my little companion. My little shadow. My little angel. I count my blessings on a daily basis when it comes to my little Thing 3... she is a walking miracle to me. Proof that prayer works. When I find myself being cranky because she is cranky and feisty, (extremely feisty) I remind myself that she has be that way. She had to fight to be here from day one... and so I thank God for my beautiful little, feisty, sometimes quite cranky miracle child.

Today, my little baby turned 5. Five years old. Where did all that time go? It seems like just yesterday I was in that hospital room. Anxious, and waiting, and watching the war in Iraq unfold. ( I will never forget where I was when the war started...)
But, here she is... A big girl now. She woke up this morning and informed us that she was 5, and a big girl now. Then showed us her feet. See? My feet are bigger now, cause I'm five.
She was such an easy baby. Really, I know that's hard to see, but really she was so easy. The toddler years almost killed me. She is so independent. So strong and opinionated. I know now that is a good quality to have, but at the time didn't realize that. She will never be persuaded to do anything that she doesn't want to do. And further, she will never not do something once she has made up her mind to do it. What great qualities to have... just oh so hard in a toddler.

We have spent the day telling Thing 3 all about when we went to the hospital to get her. How we felt, what we were thinking. She was really curious... seeing how Moxie just came home. My biggest concern when we found out we were having Moxie, and then WHEN she coming was that she NOT be born on Thing 3's birthday. I felt very strongly about that. I am glad I was able to convince the Dr. to see things my way. I also did not want her, or the other kids for that matter, to feel pushed aside. So far so good... at least I think.
We have been telling Thing 3 how excited we were, how we picked her name, and how when she was finally born we cried. I was grateful that she was healthy and was actually crying. That was music to my ears. She is my miracle, and I do believe in miracles.

There are so many things about Thing3 that I love. She is such a sensitive child. From the moment of birth, loud noises scared her... they still do. She hates it when people are fighting, and she is always thinking of other people. Whenever we go to the store, she always wants to get a treat "for her big kids"... she has their backs like that. She is the most affectionate kid I know. She loves to cuddle, and give you lots of hugs and kisses. She wants you to know for sure that she loves you, and she is your biggest fan. She LOVES her big kids. Colin can make her laugh like no other, and she just wants Thing 1 to love her. She is my little shadow, always has been. If I leave the room and don't tell her where I am going, pretty soon I will hear her hollering through the house for me... Once she finds me she will say: "Oh. I was just wanting to know where you are Mama!" Sometimes I find it irritating... mostly its endearing. She is such a teaser... she loves to tease everyone. Her sense of humor is quite developed for such a little person! I love that she loves to laugh, and is game for anything that is fun. That makes me happy... that she has a sense of humor. That will get her far in life!


She wants to be good, and do good. She is the one that reminds me to "turn on the scriptures Mama" (we listen to them in the morning while we are all eating our breakfast) She learned in Primary at the beginning of the year that she should read her scriptures. The Primary presidency challenged all the kids to read their scriptures for 5 minutes a day. She took that to heart... and feels bad if she doesn't get it done. When Moxie was born, Jefe told me that in her prayers that night she prayed that "Mama and Moxie would come home soon and be safe and happy". That warms my heart!


She has spent the last year really growing up... and becoming more "reasonable". She has really started developing her reading & writing skills. She LOVES to write notes to people, and draw pictures for them. She spends hours coloring pictures for people... and she is actually quite good at it. She is a little budding Picasso. My artist friend from Chicago told me when she was really little that Thing 3 had the budding artist in her... she had never seen a 18 month old that could properly hold crayons, and be so content to draw for such long periods. I hope she is right. She is also my dancer and singer. One of my favorite things is to hear her in the playroom singing away... just making up songs. Her latest song she made up was about "Her Dad his name is Jefe. My mom her name is Motherboard. My brother, Thing 2, my sister Thing 1 and the baby that's never coming out." I laughed until I cried when I heard that.

So, Happy Birthday Thing 3. I hope you know just how amazing your Mother thinks you are. I hope that some day, when you are old enough to read this blog (which I hope by then I have actually made into a book...) you will realize how much I loved you. And that the ONLY thing I have ever wanted for you is to be happy. You are such an amazing child... and have been blessed from the very beginning. You will go far my little darling. You will go far.
I hope you know how much you are loved... I know Dad tells you this every single day... but we do love you. Very, very much. I am so grateful you are MY Thing 3... because you really have blessed our home. Being your Mother has been one of the greatest things I have ever been able to do.
Thank you.
Happy Birthday baby! I sure do love you!
Love,
Mom


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes