Tender Mercies
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
I have been thinking a lot lately about the whole Forgiveness thing. Its such a tricky thing. I have a hard time letting go of stuff, just because to do so would me that I have absolutely nothing to hang over that persons head any longer, and nothing to beat them with. I read this book a couple of years back, and it was AMAZING! I have pulled it out recently, because I have felt compelled to re-visit forgiveness.
I had some people in my neighborhood do some things that really upset/hurt me and my family this past summer. It was serious. It was awful and it was cause for police intervention. (no. I am not exaggerating) We (meaning Jefe) chose to take the "high road" if you will. If it had been left up to me, I would have been the leader of the pack with the lit torches, ready to make the all out assault! Really. I was that upset. I was out for blood, and really, have been out for blood for over a year now. It ruined a friendship of mine. It ruined a friendship of one of my children. Basically, it broke my heart. Quite literally. Jefe was able to forgive and move on. He would repeatedly tell me that "we will forgive, but that doesn't mean that we forget what happened".
Honestly, I haven't forgotten what happened, and further, I have really had a hard time forgiving as well.
However, lately, I have had nothing but forgiveness on my mind. When I can't sleep, I have often found myself thinking about how to forgive and move on like Jefe has. I want to feel peace in my life again. Then I remembered THIS book... I have to preface this next statement with this: I HATE it when people say that books change their lives. That is SO cliche. AND FURTHER, I have always felt like people who said that were just being posers! But, that being said, the book The Peacegiver really DID change my life!
As I have been struggling with this whole forgiveness issue, I have had things from this book come to my mind. It was as if The Lord were gently guiding me in a direction that the natural man in me was fighting to go.
I have been thinking A LOT about the whole sordid affair, and how to forgive and move on when, I feel, the Lord blessed me with my own tender mercy.
I was talking with one of my children earlier in the week, and "the issue" came up. We talked about it, and then she said something that was a slap in my face.
"Well. Mom. I don't really remember what happened, but they said they were sorry. And, now that means they are forgiven. So we will forgive them too."
How could she have known that this was what I was struggling with? She didn't. But, The Lord did, and he knew that my child would be able to get me to listen. She was right. I can't have this burden any longer. But, the most amazing thing to me, and the tender mercy that was shown me, was when she said "I don't remember what happened, but they are forgiven."
That was my slap in the face.
That was MY tender mercy.
And THAT was an answer to my prayers.
I NEVER EVER recommend church books (mostly because I very rarely read them) but, on this occasion, I will recommend this book. It is mind blowing, and it really will change your life.

















