The Greatest Generation

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I have a very real love affair happening in my life. It's with history, and more specifically WWII history. I can't get enough of that era. I secretly wonder if I shouldn't have been born during that time period. Except for the whole women as second class citizens thing, I think I could have been quite happy then! It was a simpler time. And the styles? My word! I do love me some vintage!

My favorite movie of all time is the mini-series Band of Brothers. I have watched it so many times that I really do have the lines memorized. I know exactly what is going to happen each and every time I watch that series . . . and yet I still get anxious in the same spots, and I find myself really internalizing the characters and what they were going through.

As a society in general I think we have lost our understanding of the sacrifices that were made on our behalf. Mostly because The Greatest Generation is passing slowly onto the other side. Too soon all we will have are the movies to remind us of what was given and sacrificed on our behalf.



Imagine my sheer joy when I discovered a new series on HBO-- The Pacific. It is done by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg-- the same team that gave us Band of Brothers. It's about WWII in The Pacific. Me thinks I have discovered a new habit-- or addiction. I can't wait to see the whole thing!

Sadly (?) I refuse to have HBO in my home. So I'll have to wait until its out on video. But, I'm telling you what-- as soon as it is? I'm buying it. No questions asked.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes