Random randomness and then some tunes
Friday, October 30, 2009
I was trying to find a good Halloween quote for today's random 10, but all I could find were silly poems. Then I ran across this 16 scariest lines from movies. I have to be honest here... I recognize one line... the Sixth Sense one. I
Which I think really puts a kink in Jefe's style. He loves scary movies and haunted houses. I hate them. I've only been to a haunted house once and I got so scared that I literally laid down on the floor in the middle of the haunted house--in the fetal position-- and cried. They had to get a manager type person to help walk me out. With my date. Yeah. Can you say Good times? (and no second date)
*****
I do enjoy, however, trick or treating with the kids and the consumption of candy. It really is the beginning of the end for me. I am the one pushing my kids to go to "just one more house", cause I mean, who doesn't like free candy? Umm... me.
I loves me some candy.
At my house we have this nifty little thing called the "mommy tax". I get to rifle through their bags and pick out my favorites. Then they can eat whatever they want for two days. Then everything goes into a jumbo bowl for the entire family to enjoy (this stops the fighting of he/she is eating my candy) and that lasts for another week, and then I toss it all. If I don't, I will eat it all. And, we all know that Halloween is just the beginning of the food festivals.
I find Halloween a fun holiday. I LOVE to dress up in crazy costumes. But, I also find it an interesting study on people. People who are willing to dress up are willing to look silly, or have fun. People, IMO, that don't want to dress up are ones that take themselves just a little to serious. Life is meant to be enjoyed and to have fun.
Really, Halloween is the only day of the year where we as parents not only allow, but strongly encourage wearing strange clothes (sometimes what would be inappropriate in normal situations), talking to strangers and taking candy from people we don't know. It's quite the juxtaposition, don't you think?
*****
We have the pig flu over here. Thing 1 and Moxie are quite sick. It's been a little disconcerting for me. I have done absolutely nothing except hold Moxie and listen to Thing 1 moan for the last week. When I'm not participating in the moan fest and pacing with Moxie, I'm furiously trying to clean where ever they have been--lysoling like a mad man-- to keep the pigs at bay.
Yes. It's a version of hell. This is the first time Moxie has been sick. I'm pretty lucky in that regard. She isn't all that bad of a patient either. I just can't be out of her line of sight or she freaks out. So I have a new appendage. I hope she will amputate from me once she is feeling better. Cause this totally blows.
Luckily, I've already had it. I know how craptastic they are feeling. Death certainly would feel better than this horrid flu. So, I am more sympathetic than I would be if I hadn't had the pig flu. Does that make a bad Mother? Probably.
*****
Last week, Thing 1 and I were driving somewhere and I had the radio set to a station that was playing 80's ballads. It was a blast driving around singing at the top of my lungs all those tacky love songs from the 80's. The best one? Richard Marx's "I'll be Right here waiting for you". I started doing the sign language to the song. Yup. I know how to sign the entire song in sign language.
Why?
Because when I was a cheesy seventeen year old, I had a boyfriend that was leaving on a Mormon mission. I wasn't going to get to see or talk to him for 2 years. My friend had a boyfriend leaving at the same time too so we decided we wanted to be able to sing/sign them a message that was "profound".
We took a sign language class and learned how to sign this entire song and we sang/signed it to our boyfriends.
I was telling this story to Thing 1, completely lost in the memory of it all when she said: "You took a class to learn how to sign this stupid song to your boyfriend that was leaving on a mission? Holy Crap Mom. You were a dork-wad. That's HOURS of your life you are never. getting. back."
{screeching sound}
And I was immediately brought back to reality by a fourteen year old pointing out how utterly ridiculous my friend and I looked to the rest of the world.
I guess I'm glad I didn't show her what the sign for my name was.
(me giving myself a shot in the arm with a letter D. As in Diet Coke)
*****
In my various Internet surfing I have seen "Ad's" for Mormon's in weird places. Yahoo email Banner Ad's. Site meter Banner Ads. Project play list chat window Ads. It's sort of exciting to see the church being so progressive rather than how they were 15 years ago. When Jefe and I were first married I remember our Bishop getting up in our university ward telling the congregation to "STAY OFF THE INTERNET!" It's evil and of the devil.
I love seeing the churches Banner Ad's all over the place. It is exciting and I'm glad they are embracing technology rather than trying to teach us all to be afraid of it.
*****
Thing 2 and I put together a little Halloween play list for you. Our criteria for making the cut to our list? It had to make Moxie dance. If she danced, then we added it to our play list. We stopped at 15 songs because that's when Moxie decided she was bored and went to find "Ya-ya" (thing3).
This is our version of Random 10 today. Even though its not all that random, play it away and dance with your peeps today! Link up if you post your random thoughts today, or your random 1o songs from ANY play list (including your computer!)
Have a great Halloween and get lots of candy! Keep an eye out for us.. We'll be the FBI agent, Elephant, Cowgirl and Dragon. If you see us, we expect 2 handfuls of candy.
Ummkaythanx.
Catch ya on the flip side!

















