I’m sorry

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Those are two powerful little words, I'm and Sorry. Alone they don't really have the same impact. But put them together and they can move mountains, heal souls. They are more powerful than those other little words.

I'm sorry.

Why are those two simple little words such difficult words to say? You would think uttering them would cause you to melt into a million pieces, with how infrequently they are said. When in reality what it does is soften. It softens the one who says them and hopefully softens the one who hears them.

I'm sorry. See how easy they are to type? So easy to read?

Saying I'm sorry doesn't always mean you merit the forgiveness. Forgiveness is a tricky thing to give. We are required to forgive all; however, when you finally do you run the risk of being hurt again. That's why this forgiveness business is tricky. It's easier to hold on to the hurt—to protect yourself with it—or so we think. But in reality, we aren't protecting ourselves with it; we are poisoning ourselves... slowly.

I'm sorry. It feels good, saying those words. Liberating and freeing.

Those words mean that you are willing to seek that tricky forgiveness. To do the necessary work for it and to fix whatever it is that needs fixing. Some things are worth saying I'm sorry for over and over again—essentially fighting for them.

I'm sorry. They are hard words to say, but when you do finally say them you can feel the power of what they mean. You can feel the pride shifting away making room for a new emotion to grow… humility.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes