Earth Day

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Jefe thinks that I am a pinko-commie because I *believe* in global warming... or climate change... or whatever the most PC thing is we are calling it. Whatever the "correct" name is today... Our earth is changing. I get that it won't always be the same, that this hunk 'o rock we live on is an ever changing vessel. Really, I do. However, how do you argue with the fact that the fish and birds are eating OUR garbage... our plastic bags, and bottle caps, and dolls? (yes. dolls.. they showed the insides of not only the fish bellies, but also seagull bellies-- the birds had tennis balls in them)

I watched a documentary on Sunday night on the discovery channel about Alaska. It was amazing! Alaska is such a beautiful place! My son is dying to go there... I don't know what it is he thinks he will do when he gets there... but nevertheless he wants to go. They showed what they predict the Alaska region to look like in 10 years if the polar melting continues at the rate it is now... shocking and mind blowing.

Then, last night I watched a thing on CNN about the nations water supply. They are predicting that if we keep using the amount of water we are now, here in the desert regions, that by 2021 Lake Mead will be a dry lake bed... as will Lake Powell. They said that in the last 20 years, it has dropped over 100 feet. That will then mean that by 2021, if we continue as we are now, there will be severe water rationing for the western states. 2021 people is not that far away. Putting it into perspective, Moxie will be 13 in 2021, and Thing 1 will be 26. Really Not that far away!
(Great balls of fire! Thing 1 will 26 in 13 years?? Oh the horror! That makes me sad... but thats a post for another day!) I poo-pooed this whole notion until I saw, with my very own eyes, the levels of Lake Powell.
Holy Cannoli Batman!
I had the same reaction when I saw the Great Salt Lake for the first time in several years... I can go to the very top of my street----> up there by the mountain----> and look down and see what used to be a thriving lake bed, but is now just dry, yucky muck! It is disconcerting to me.

Anyway.
I don't have the answers, but I do know that we are consuming and wasting too much. I would love to see some sort of "credit" available to people who turn their yards into more eco- friendly yards. My yard is huge, and to run the entire water cycle it needs to water, it takes 4 1/2 hours. Yes. You read that right. 4.5 hours! (i have just barely under an acre!)
That is a TON of water being used to make a desert area green. I'm embarrassed really by how much water it takes to keep my yard green.

We need to be doing more recycling. We need to stop using those obnoxious plastic bags-- and people, I am the worst. At one point, Jefe really wanted me to start using those recyclable grocery bags that you bring in with you. I bought some... and promptly let my kids play with them. I am the first to admit that I like my convenience, and when he was trying to get us to be more"green" with regards to our shopping habits, I thought he was on crack. That would take too much effort. However, after watching that little show about Alaska and then the water supply here in the desert... I think I may have to ramp up my conservation efforts. This is the only planet we have to live on... we need to be taking better care of her!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes