Random 10 Friday
Friday, April 18, 2008
Too much of a good thing is wonderful! - Mae West
I have a brain full of randomness today, and so I am just going to put it all out there. I had wanted to do separate posts on some of this stuff... but seriously. That will take too long. Hang tight, we're going for a ride.
This whole Texas polygamy invasion deal has me conflicted... and irate. On one hand I find myself thinking that its about freaking! time! that someone did something about the underage marriages in polygamy. I think polygamy is sick. I don't agree with it and I actually have to ignore it all together or I find myself getting livid! The feminist in me starts freaking out when I think of the oppression that these women suffer. (although they do not feel they are "suffering or are oppressed") Jefe and I were listening to a CNN interview with a bunch of the women involved and after hearing them talk, and describe their lives... Jefe turned to me and said "You never make it in that lifestyle!"
Uhh. You think?
However he is right. Some of our biggest fights have been when I have felt he was trying to control me and tell me how to think, feel or act. Seriously, that does not fly with me. I am my own person. I will think and feel what I will. Now that being said, I also find myself thinking what in THE HELL! was Texas thinking just invading a settlement and taking 416 kids away? How are they going to provide for all of these children? They are the victims here. I realize that they are trying to help them... to save them. But, do they have the homes, counseling and resources in place to do so? These kids are just kids after all.
And further, why are they having 1 lump hearing? This is not a class action suit, which is what this hearing reminds me of. These are children. These are families. I may not agree with their lifestyle choices, but we have no right to separate entire families based on 1 accusation. it should be done on a case by case basis.
I am all about saving the kids-- as long as the abuse can be substantiated. (yes. underage illegal marriage does constitute abuse.) But, is it really possible that all 416 kids were being abused? I don't know. I'm just saying. Again, I do not support, advocate or condone polygamy. But these are families-- however weird they might be. They are families.
Why don't you weigh in on this little matter while I try and calm down!
Secondly. I am shocked to see so much hatred aimed at the Mormon religion. Polygamists are NOT Mormons. I think that if everyone would put their pitchforks away for a moment, and count how many churches have splinter churches... they would be astonished! Every church has splinter groups-- The Lutherans, The Methodists, The Baptists, and even The Catholics. The thing that is so shocking to me are the amount of people that feel that Mormons are not Christian (which, btw is NOT true--check out the name of the church-- its the church of JESUS CHRIST of latter-day saints! For petes sake!)
And that because they think that it should also mean that they (Mormons) should not be afforded the same freedoms or that the constitution does not apply to them. That is shocking to me. We have been a country that has espoused freedoms from the beginning of its organization. As a whole, I would dare say that this amazing country abhors discrimination and further that we are all about equal rights now. It has taken us a while, but I really do believe this is true. This is why I find the discrimination that occurs against people of the Mormon faith so perplexing. It would never fly, say if people were saying on a national radio station, that a Jew should not be given the same freedoms that everyone else did--- just because he is a Jew and not a Christian. There would be fury in our country. It would NEVER be tolerated. Why is it ok then for people to be so discriminate against Mormons? I find that just plain ignorant.
On to a more tame topic--Sort of.
I was talking with Jefe recently about our political views. They seem to be quite different on some things. As a whole, I think we agree on most stuff. But, he said something that made me want to wave my arms above my head like a crazy person and run from the room screaming. Jefe thinks Global warming is a hoax.
Gasp!!!
I know! Doesn't that make you want to run away screaming too? It does me. I am a believer! in global warming. I will never drive an SUV for that very fact. Ever.
I was SHOCKED! Really. Out of the two of us, I had always thought that he was the more environmentally conscious. I was also surprised at how mad I got over his admission about his lack of belief. I felt like we should run out to confession... "Father, Forgive him for he does not believe!"
Yet. I would dare say that Jefe is probably just as irritated with me and my views on gun control. I feel that there should be stricter laws on guns. (he is a BIG gun advocate) I like guns. I don't mind guns. I grew up shooting guns. However, I just think the laws need to be a little tougher. Especially in the state of Utah. Utah has some of the most lenient gun laws around. That bugs me.
Lastly. Did you hear that Orin Hatch has written a "campaign song" for John McCain?
Yes. He. Did.
It's called Together Forever. I know, I know. Blech! I saw it on the news this morning... take a listen-- the song starts around 1:05
Anyway. Is anyone even still reading this post? The whole point of Random 10 Friday is to show you what came up all random like on my mp3 player. Well. Here it is! Its going to be 70 today. I pulled out the flip flops and the short sleeves and I think I'll go to the park!
What are you listening too?
1. White Dove - Starsailor
2. I'll Fly Away - Alison Krauss/Gillian Welch
3. Come Alive - Foo Fighters
4. Waiting On The World To Change(featuring Ben Harper) - John Mayer
5. Pretty Paper - Chris Isaak
6. Low - Coldplay
7. Would You Please - Rachael Yamagata
8. On The Way - Yiruma
9. Gravity - Sara Bareilles
10. Prayin' For Daylight - Rascal Flatts
Bonus: Someday We'll Know - New Radicals
I have a brain full of randomness today, and so I am just going to put it all out there. I had wanted to do separate posts on some of this stuff... but seriously. That will take too long. Hang tight, we're going for a ride.
This whole Texas polygamy invasion deal has me conflicted... and irate. On one hand I find myself thinking that its about freaking! time! that someone did something about the underage marriages in polygamy. I think polygamy is sick. I don't agree with it and I actually have to ignore it all together or I find myself getting livid! The feminist in me starts freaking out when I think of the oppression that these women suffer. (although they do not feel they are "suffering or are oppressed") Jefe and I were listening to a CNN interview with a bunch of the women involved and after hearing them talk, and describe their lives... Jefe turned to me and said "You never make it in that lifestyle!"
Uhh. You think?
However he is right. Some of our biggest fights have been when I have felt he was trying to control me and tell me how to think, feel or act. Seriously, that does not fly with me. I am my own person. I will think and feel what I will. Now that being said, I also find myself thinking what in THE HELL! was Texas thinking just invading a settlement and taking 416 kids away? How are they going to provide for all of these children? They are the victims here. I realize that they are trying to help them... to save them. But, do they have the homes, counseling and resources in place to do so? These kids are just kids after all.
And further, why are they having 1 lump hearing? This is not a class action suit, which is what this hearing reminds me of. These are children. These are families. I may not agree with their lifestyle choices, but we have no right to separate entire families based on 1 accusation. it should be done on a case by case basis.
I am all about saving the kids-- as long as the abuse can be substantiated. (yes. underage illegal marriage does constitute abuse.) But, is it really possible that all 416 kids were being abused? I don't know. I'm just saying. Again, I do not support, advocate or condone polygamy. But these are families-- however weird they might be. They are families.
Why don't you weigh in on this little matter while I try and calm down!
Secondly. I am shocked to see so much hatred aimed at the Mormon religion. Polygamists are NOT Mormons. I think that if everyone would put their pitchforks away for a moment, and count how many churches have splinter churches... they would be astonished! Every church has splinter groups-- The Lutherans, The Methodists, The Baptists, and even The Catholics. The thing that is so shocking to me are the amount of people that feel that Mormons are not Christian (which, btw is NOT true--check out the name of the church-- its the church of JESUS CHRIST of latter-day saints! For petes sake!)
And that because they think that it should also mean that they (Mormons) should not be afforded the same freedoms or that the constitution does not apply to them. That is shocking to me. We have been a country that has espoused freedoms from the beginning of its organization. As a whole, I would dare say that this amazing country abhors discrimination and further that we are all about equal rights now. It has taken us a while, but I really do believe this is true. This is why I find the discrimination that occurs against people of the Mormon faith so perplexing. It would never fly, say if people were saying on a national radio station, that a Jew should not be given the same freedoms that everyone else did--- just because he is a Jew and not a Christian. There would be fury in our country. It would NEVER be tolerated. Why is it ok then for people to be so discriminate against Mormons? I find that just plain ignorant.
On to a more tame topic--Sort of.
I was talking with Jefe recently about our political views. They seem to be quite different on some things. As a whole, I think we agree on most stuff. But, he said something that made me want to wave my arms above my head like a crazy person and run from the room screaming. Jefe thinks Global warming is a hoax.
Gasp!!!
I know! Doesn't that make you want to run away screaming too? It does me. I am a believer! in global warming. I will never drive an SUV for that very fact. Ever.
I was SHOCKED! Really. Out of the two of us, I had always thought that he was the more environmentally conscious. I was also surprised at how mad I got over his admission about his lack of belief. I felt like we should run out to confession... "Father, Forgive him for he does not believe!"
Yet. I would dare say that Jefe is probably just as irritated with me and my views on gun control. I feel that there should be stricter laws on guns. (he is a BIG gun advocate) I like guns. I don't mind guns. I grew up shooting guns. However, I just think the laws need to be a little tougher. Especially in the state of Utah. Utah has some of the most lenient gun laws around. That bugs me.
Lastly. Did you hear that Orin Hatch has written a "campaign song" for John McCain?
Yes. He. Did.
It's called Together Forever. I know, I know. Blech! I saw it on the news this morning... take a listen-- the song starts around 1:05
Anyway. Is anyone even still reading this post? The whole point of Random 10 Friday is to show you what came up all random like on my mp3 player. Well. Here it is! Its going to be 70 today. I pulled out the flip flops and the short sleeves and I think I'll go to the park!
What are you listening too?
1. White Dove - Starsailor
2. I'll Fly Away - Alison Krauss/Gillian Welch
3. Come Alive - Foo Fighters
4. Waiting On The World To Change(featuring Ben Harper) - John Mayer
5. Pretty Paper - Chris Isaak
6. Low - Coldplay
7. Would You Please - Rachael Yamagata
8. On The Way - Yiruma
9. Gravity - Sara Bareilles
10. Prayin' For Daylight - Rascal Flatts
Bonus: Someday We'll Know - New Radicals

















