I-may Econd-say anguage-lay

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I have always wanted to be bi-lingual, or at least marry someone who was bi-lingual.
Oh wait.
I did.
Jefe is bi-lingual. He speaks beautiful Castillian Spanish... from living in Spain.
But in my head, when I was growing up, he would be all tres chic, with a heavy accent and French music would be playing in the background.

It's so not like that.

My foreign language abilities consisted, prior to my mission, of being able to ask where the bathrooms were, and tell you about my horse that fell off the bridge (don't ask) in Spanish and being able to order some red wine in French.

Never mind the fact that I don't drink, nor do I have a horse.

How are my bi-lingual abilities now? Well. Now, I can shoot the breeze with the smartest 3 year olds around. That is, until my sisters come to town. Then we revert back to our own second language.

My parents used to talk it to keep "big ears" from listening. At least thats what they used to tell me. It took us each a while before we were able to figure out what they were saying... but then we would each start joining in the conversations once we figured it out. Usually when we were in our pre-teen years we would finally catch on.

Jefe and I speak it too. But, I have to talk really slow with him. Thats no fun. When my sisters come to town, we start talking it SO fast that its just a whirl-wind of chaos.
And it is Oh. So. Fun.

You're dying to know what my "real" second language is, aren't you?

Pig latin.

An-cay Oo-yay Eak-spay Ig-pay Atin-lay?
I-yay An-cay.
Eally-ray Ast-fay. And-yay I-yay ean-may EALLY-RAY ast-fay.

It-yay is-yay eally-ray un-fay oo-tay ee-say eople-pays aces-fay en-way oo-yay eak-bray out-yay in-yay ig-pay atin-lay. unce-way ere-they as-way a-yay issionary-may at-thay oke-spay ig-pay atin-lay in-yay anish-pay. i-may ead-hay urt-hay en-way e-hay ould-way oo-day at-thay!

Did you understand that? Whats your second language?


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes