Still sick
Friday, December 09, 2005
Yup. We're still sick. Tonight is Hombres work party. At the last firm he worked for, it was on company time, and no family members allowed! That really irked me, but hey! What do you do? Anyway, I told Hombre we were going no matter what! It was a catered dinner at the JSMB! Anyone who knows me well, knows that I like to eat. You know, that unhealthy relationship with food and all... Anyway... I really want to see the lights on Temple Square, but its too cold. I think that I would like to see them by helicopter!
So, seeing how I am still sick and all, I am again taking the lazy mans way out. Here is another journal entry. I must have been in really reflective moods when I wrote these. Either that, or everyone was healthy!
Recently I was driving in my car listening to my favorite radio program “A Prairie Home Companion” with my children. They introduced a singer I vaguely recognized, then started talking about how the song she was going to sing always makes him want to cry. I remember thinking “Oh great! Here comes another sappy, old love song. Yuck!” Then she started singing about her children, and how they were all grown now, and leaving for college. How she’d ‘had eighteen years to prepare for this: Letting go, there’s nothing in the way now-- Letting go." Immediately the flood gates opened as I started thinking of my three wonderful children.
Later in the song the singer talks about how now she has more time for the gardening and will be able to read all those books she had been waiting to read, but that it was all still so hard, Letting go.
Thing 1 listened to me sing (as I did actually know the song), then said “Mom, what is she singing about?” I told her “She is singing about her children growing up and leaving home”. She thought for a moment, and said “Mom, do you want me to grow up and leave home?” And before I could even get the answer out, she continued “cause I don’t ever want to grow up. I would miss you too much”.
This made my thoughts turn to my own Mother. I grew up, moved away. I too missed my Mother.
Childhood is such a wonderful thing. Things are easier to understand. I often hear my children tell me things, and find myself thinking “what a wonderful, simple way to view the world”. How lucky we are to have children around us!
It is such an interesting idea, “Letting go”. I had never thought of it in the sense that I was “letting them go”. I had thought many times, “Boy, I can’t wait until you can do this, that or the other for yourself.” I have found myself hurrying my children along to ‘grow-up’. Yet, as I listened to this song about “Letting them go”, it made me realize that all too soon, I will be an empty nester, with “nothing in the way now” to do all those things that I have been complaining I never get to do. I will be ‘just me’ again, able to come and go as I please, do all those hobbies that I enjoyed “before I had kids.” And then, all I will want is for them to come home.
Letting go. I don't think that I will do that very good. I don't even like them to go across the street, how will I ever handle them moving away?
So, seeing how I am still sick and all, I am again taking the lazy mans way out. Here is another journal entry. I must have been in really reflective moods when I wrote these. Either that, or everyone was healthy!
Recently I was driving in my car listening to my favorite radio program “A Prairie Home Companion” with my children. They introduced a singer I vaguely recognized, then started talking about how the song she was going to sing always makes him want to cry. I remember thinking “Oh great! Here comes another sappy, old love song. Yuck!” Then she started singing about her children, and how they were all grown now, and leaving for college. How she’d ‘had eighteen years to prepare for this: Letting go, there’s nothing in the way now-- Letting go." Immediately the flood gates opened as I started thinking of my three wonderful children.
Later in the song the singer talks about how now she has more time for the gardening and will be able to read all those books she had been waiting to read, but that it was all still so hard, Letting go.
Thing 1 listened to me sing (as I did actually know the song), then said “Mom, what is she singing about?” I told her “She is singing about her children growing up and leaving home”. She thought for a moment, and said “Mom, do you want me to grow up and leave home?” And before I could even get the answer out, she continued “cause I don’t ever want to grow up. I would miss you too much”.
This made my thoughts turn to my own Mother. I grew up, moved away. I too missed my Mother.
Childhood is such a wonderful thing. Things are easier to understand. I often hear my children tell me things, and find myself thinking “what a wonderful, simple way to view the world”. How lucky we are to have children around us!
It is such an interesting idea, “Letting go”. I had never thought of it in the sense that I was “letting them go”. I had thought many times, “Boy, I can’t wait until you can do this, that or the other for yourself.” I have found myself hurrying my children along to ‘grow-up’. Yet, as I listened to this song about “Letting them go”, it made me realize that all too soon, I will be an empty nester, with “nothing in the way now” to do all those things that I have been complaining I never get to do. I will be ‘just me’ again, able to come and go as I please, do all those hobbies that I enjoyed “before I had kids.” And then, all I will want is for them to come home.
Letting go. I don't think that I will do that very good. I don't even like them to go across the street, how will I ever handle them moving away?

















