How to tell one persons van from another persons... In story form.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yesterday I had to go pick Thing 1 up from the Junior High after school. It was quite late, and there were still teenagers milling about. I pulled up in front of the school, slowly went past the enormous glass windows where the kids wait so she could see me and then I parked the van.

I waited and waited and waited. I called a friend on the phone and chatted for a few minutes. I kept looking into those big glass windows glaring-- thinking that Thing 1 would surely feel my wrath as I sat there and waited and waited and waited some more.

After 15 minutes of waiting I see this child come sneaking up to the van, slowly look into the window and then a big smile appeared on her face. Thing 1 then popped into the car. I was more than a little mad.

Me: Where have you been?

T1: Inside the school.

Me: You've been inside the school this entire time?

T1: (rather sheepishly) Yeah.

Me: Where? Inside? Right there? (pointing to the front doors)

T1: Yeah. I was watching the van. I wasn't sure it was ours. I kept hoping you would get out and I would know it was you.

Me: Are you kidding me? You sat inside the school, waiting for me to get out so you would know it was our van? (growls) Couldn't you just walk up and look in the window to see if it was me?

T1: No. I can't do that. That would be embarrassing. I came out earlier, talking to my friend and accidentally got in someone elses van. It was embarrassing.

Me: (Laughing) You got in someone else's van? Uhh. Yeah. Didn't you look in the window first?

T1: Mom!

Me: Well. What should we do to make our van look "different" so you know its me and I don't have to sit and wait... while the cows and chickens come home.

T1: I dunno. Maybe put something on the car so I'll know its you or something. Ya know?

Me: Uhh. OK.
Do you think this is different enough?


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes