My Dear Thing 3

Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Six years ago, I was sitting in a hospital room, hooked up to an IV drip line, watching the war in Iraq unfold. I seem to recall having a small debate with my Dad... he was convinced that we would be in and out of Iraq within 30 days. I seem to also recall that he bet me $100 that we would be in out and on with life within that 30 days... humm. I think I would like to collect that $100 dollars now Dad. With Interest!

Anyway...

I was having an emergency induction to get Thing 3 here. She was my little sickie... our baby that cost the most (read:$70k+ No lie!) and the one that I spent over 4 months on bed rest waiting and worrying about her...praying that she would be born healthy and fine.

They thought that IF she had kidneys, there would be only one, and typically when there is renal problems, there are heart problems as well. When I would be stressed, then she would be stressed.

I got to experience the joys of bed rest. The Dr.'s also thought that when she was born, she probably would have a difficult time breathing and would need to go to the NICU. I chose the hospital that I did because my best friend was a NICU nurse there and my Relief Society president was the head of all the nurses at that hospital. It turns out I made a good choice.

Her first day of life was spent having all sorts of tests run to see what her difficulties in life were going to be. All and I do mean ALL of the things that they feared would be wrong with her were not. She was 100% healthy and such a good little baby. I remember that I cried when all the tests that she had done after day 1 of life came back clear and normal. What a miracle she was... and has been ever since.

My Uncle, who at the time was a General Authority for my church, had my name and her name put on the prayer roll of the our temple. But, this wasn't just any prayer roll, it was the prayer roll that our Prophet would pray over in his weekly meetings.

My Uncle says that when they said mine and my baby's name, you could feel something special taking place. He knew that all would be well with me and the baby. It was. She is my miracle baby. I do believe in miracles because I see one every single day when I look into Thing 3's beautiful face!

I count my blessings on a daily basis when it comes to my little Thing 3... she is a walking miracle to me. Proof positive that prayer works. When I find myself being cranky because she is cranky and feisty, (extremely feisty) I remind myself that she has to be that way. She had to fight to be here from day one... and so I thank God for my beautiful little feisty and sometimes quite cranky miracle child.

I know that her personality will serve her well when she is older. No one can make her do anything that she doesn't want to do. She is stubborn and determined. When she sets her mind to do something, she will not quit until its done.

She is a natural athlete. She can play any sport, and she plays it well. It is incredible to watch. I love watching her. She is one of the hardest working kids I have. On her own, she is the first one outside helping her Dad with mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage or shoveling snow.

One time, she was really angry and part of the driveway needed to be shoveled. I couldn't find her anywhere and was getting really worried about where she was when I heard the familiar scraping sound of the snow shovel. I looked out my window where I found my beautiful daughter shoveling the snow... and working off her anger. When she came in she sighed and said, I feel a lot better now!

There are so many things about Thing3 that I love. She is such a sensitive child. From the moment of birth, loud noises scared her... and they still do. She hates it when people are fighting, and she is always thinking of other people.

Whenever we go to the store, she always wants to get a treat "for her big kids"... she has their backs like that. She is the most affectionate kid I know. She loves to cuddle, and give you lots of hugs and kisses. She wants you to know for sure that she loves you, and she is your biggest fan.

She LOVES her big kids and Moxie. Thing 2 can make her laugh like no other, and she just wants Thing 1 to love her. She is my little shadow, always has been. If I leave the room and don't tell her where I am going, pretty soon I will hear her hollering through the house calling for me... Once she finds me she will say: "Oh. I was just wanting to know where you are Mama!"

Sometimes I find it irritating... mostly its endearing. She is such a teaser... she loves to tease everyone. Her sense of humor is quite developed for such a little person! I love that she loves to laugh, and is game for anything that is fun. That makes me happy, that she has a sense of humor. That will get her far in life!
She loves to sing. She will sing and make up the best songs around. I love to hear her in the various rooms, singing all of her made up songs. She will cart Moxie around, singing to her and making sure that she is happy. She is the best little helper... with regards to just about everything. Her goal in life? To make sure we are all happy.

My dear sweet Thing 3 is 6. SIX. It makes me so happy to see her growing and being happy. But, in the same breath, I wish she would just stop growing and stay little for the rest of our lives... she is a complete joy to have in our lives!

She is our miracle child... one of our biggest blessings. I am so grateful that the Lord saw fit to hear our plea's and bless this child with health and a strong spirit. The world is hers for the taking... she just has to do it.

I love you, Thing 3. You are the light of my world. Happy Birthday little buddy!
Love,
Mom


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes