Inquiring minds want to know...

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

When I first moved to my neighborhood, I asked someone to attend Women's Conference with me. Her response? "I don't have time for that kind of stuff. I am WAY to busy raising my kids and taking care of my house to be involved with that kind of stuff."

I was shocked.

Really? She was too busy to have a life?

Then, I asked someone else to go with me. And I got another variation of that answer "I don't have time for friends. I have my kids, my husband, my house and my sisters. I don't really have time for or even need friends."

Ouch.

The third time I was told that there was just no way that she could attend anything like that with me. Who would tend her children? When I suggested that her husband could, she laughed and commented that No, in fact he could not. He was the "visitation" Dad. He had money to make and a job to do.

Double ouch.

I was starting to think that not only was I "needy" for wanting friends, but Jefe was strange for being so willing to support me in my endeavors. Jefe has always been willing to help out with the kids and has always wanted me to pursue things that are important to me. I had thought that was how all marriages worked.

Recently, I asked someone to attend Women's Conference with me. Again I got the same variation of the same old answer. "Its a waste of time to do stuff like that... I don't like to be away from my family... I am too busy taking care of my kids, husband, house and home to do stuff like that... (what? something for myself?)

Honestly? I still find that archaic and weird. Who does that? Who honestly doesn't have time for themselves to do the things that they enjoy? Is taking care of a family so incredibly time consuming that there is none left over for yourself? Is cleaning your home and folding laundry so fulfilling that there is no room for friends?

"Stuff like that?" It's Women's Conference people. I'm not talking about hitting the slots. I was talking about going to a conference for women focused on how to be a better mother; A better wife; A better daughter; A better Christian... A better woman.

Do you make time for friends?
Do you take time out of your "wifely duties" to do the things you like to or want to do?

Inquiring minds want to know...


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes