Tower of Strength Review & A Giveaway

Monday, March 16, 2009

The first time Annette Lyon commented on my blog, I clicked over to her blog to see who she was and surf around for a while. I was giddy with excitement when I saw that not only was she an author—with books that were actually published, but she was an award winning author, with published books. I nearly peed myself I was so excited. I went around for days spontaneously blurting out that I had an author—a real live author—that read my blog. And she liked me. Jefe got so that when I would start in on my well known speech, he would mutter "yeah yeah. We know. You've got an author. Can I have dinner now?"

So, you can imagine how totally over the moon I was when I got an email back in January asking me to read her book and tell you all what I thought. I was completely, 100% over the moon. Then I got rather nervous. Why? Well. Because all of my previous experiences with Mormon authors had been well, how should I put it? Suck-tastic. Lame-O. Cheesey. Typically in the past when I have read Mormon fiction, I have felt a strong urge to order a bottle of Sparkling Apple Cider to go with my large plate of Cheese ('cause I'm Mormon and don't drink wine). I hadn't read a Mormon book in well over 25 years and was worried it would still be the same… Cheesey and Lame-O.

Somewhere, in my vast blog-travels, I read where the Mormon fiction venue has actually improved… a lot. The authors that I had read in my youth, were the trail-blazers. There was not much for the publishers back then to choose from, so pretty much what you saw was what you got. However, in the last few years, there is such an abundance of LDS authors that the publishers can and are quite choosy. They only publish the best of the best.

I was pleasantly surprised with Annette's book. I was hooked with the opening scene… Coalville. My Mom is from Coalville. Then the book shifts to Manti. My grandparents are from "those parts". She describes the "drive" into Manti perfectly. I knew exactly what she was talking about, and where we were in town. I had seen it a hundred times. The horses? Yeah. I was raised around horses. The book felt sort of like coming home for me. I was completely surprised at how much I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is an easy, quick read. My teen daughter is also reading it and when I asked her what she thought, she replied: "Mom, its good and its really nice." Then she disappeared back into the catacombs that are her room.

I loved Samuel and I must admit that I read his part with a British accent. I felt for him. I loved the realness that this Character had—and the doubt he was struggling with. "Why am I here? What good can I do?" I could really relate to him; I had felt a lot of the same feelings he was feeling.

I loved Tabitha and her remarkable strength. The trials that had beset her would be enough to force the strongest woman to falter—and yet she doesn't. She pushes forward and evolves into an amazing, smart, successful, strong woman.

I really disliked Tabitha's Mother-in-law, Mother Hall (said disdainfully). The venom dripping from that woman was palpable! (so what if she redeemed herself in the end? I still don't like her)

I have no problem recommending this book, especially for a Mother/daughter read. What better way to get to know and understand your daughter, than to read with her? This book, Tower of Strength, is a wonderful one to read together. You will not have to worry at all about something questionable popping up… because it is a good, clean read.

Here is a trailer for the book. (Did you know that is the latest way authors promote their books? Its true. Even Jodi Picoult has trailers).

Sher is doing the music for it... and its her own arrangement. (go wish her a happy birthday, will ya? She's like 10 or something) There is a giveaway for all four of Annette's books on the MMB today. Go enter. You just might win.




  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes