In the quiet heart is hidden, sorrows that the eye can't see.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sometimes I get promptings to do stuff, only I just blow them off. Mostly because I don't want the people I am getting the promptings about to think I am a weirdo. Those promptings are like someone knocking on the door to my heart... and I have had several of those these past couple of days-- and I am glad that I listened this time.

Promptings are funny. They are still, soft knockings on the walls of our hearts. Sometimes we can hear them quite loudly... and sometimes they are faint. The more we act upon them, the louder, I believe, they will become. If we ignore them, they get softer and softer.

I firmly believe that the doors to peoples lives are like that door up there... there is no way to be let in until they let you in. There is no door handle, no way to enter their lives-- unless they let you in. Sometimes God knows they need you in their life and so He opens the door for them... via a prompting. Or two. Or three.

My ears have been listening ears, and my shoulders have become quite strong as I have helped my friends with their burdens. The thing is this: I would have never known they were struggling and sad if I had not listened to my promptings.

The image they were portraying to us outsiders was that all was well. They did not need anything, and everyone in their lives were just happy little campers. But, that was not the case-- which I think is probably true everywhere else more often than not.

Why?
Why do we do that?
Why do we pretend that all is well in our lives when inside we feel like curling up in a tiny little ball and hiding?
Why do we pretend? Are we all so afraid of the judgment that will come from others that we just may not have it all together that we pretend that we do?

Because you know what? I didn't judge any of my friends that I have listened to this past week. I didn't think less of them for admitting they had problems, and that they were struggling... it made me love them more.

My heart hurt for them as they all told me the various things that were hurting them... their kids that were being stupid; the kids that were making dumb choices; the not having kids, but wanting them desperately; not having any friends; death; the judgmental neighbors that say hurtful things; the spouse that doesn't help out, or the spouse that expects WAY too much; the money problems; the sick kids; the parents who aren't supportive; or the siblings that are mean...

I have heard a lot of struggles from a lot of people over the past week and it made me realize something. I have had a line from a song running through my head "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrows that the eye can't see". We all have those hidden sorrows that the eye can't see, and who are we to judge another?

Our job is to love each other... regardless of whether or not the life choices that are being made are ones that WE ourselves would make. It's not our job to decide who is or isn't good enough for our attention or affection. Christ would not do that, so why should we?

I have tried lately, when I have felt the nasty girl rearing her ugly head, to recite those words "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrows that the eye can't see." I don't know what makes people act the way they do. I don't know what is going on behind those closed doors. I have no idea if those smiles are real or fake... but my job is to not judge.

It's hard not to judge. I will admit that. Sometimes people just bug the crap out of me... but I AM trying, and that is all that matters. I will try to be the listening ear and strong shoulders that people need. I will try to love others the way I know the Lord loves me. Whether I think they deserve it or not... It's not my place to decide.
It is only my place to act, and so I will.

Will you?


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes