Talking monkeys cause PTSD. (That's Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). For reals. They do!
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
*pulled from the archives*
Recently my kids and Jefe were watching Planet of the Apes. I I don't mind so much the new movie version with Marky-Mark and the funky bunch. I have seen it several times... and I actually like it. It helps that Marky-Mark is in it... seriously. He's just plain yummy! But the old version? It completely creeps me out.
I have to remove myself from the room every single time someone is taking in the monkeys. I think its PTSD. Really I do. I have PTSD with regards to Planet of the Apes.
Here's why.
One time, when my Mom was off to some sort of church meeting, my Dad was left in charge of my sister and I. He was in the basement (I don't even think it was finished yet) watching Planet of the Apes and my sister & I were upstairs essentially hiding from the Ape monsters that could talk.
I remember that I was standing on our kitchen counter and we had a chair pulled up to that counter. Islandmom was standing on the chair, and we were foraging in the cupboards for something to eat.
There must have been a commercial on, because the next thing I knew I could hear a monkey sounding monster coming up our stairs and I FREAKED out. I screamed bloody murder and tried to not only jump over the chair, but my sister too... but I didn't quite make it. My sister hit her head on something and cut it open really bad and had to get stitches.
As the story is told (which has gotten better over the years) the Doctors didn't believe how she had cut her head open. They made her retell the story over and over again. To different Doctors. Because really, who tries to jump over someone because they hear a monkey sound?
{{raising my hand}}
Umm. Me.
I felt really bad. However, my Dad felt worse. He was just teasing us, but ended up scaring the living be-jeebers out of us, causing Monkey induced PTSD and scarring me for life. I think I need therapy now.
Do you have any shows that completely creep you out?

















